Thursday, October 11, 2012

My life as a free to play Mechwarrior or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Trial Mechs


Another re-post. This was from when the economy was totally wonkey and no one was making CBills, I wanted to put things in perspective. While the economy now is much better, the lessons from this post still apply to everyone who complain about the grind.

Hey kids it’s story time with your pal Pyrodante,

I started playing about a week before this last patch. I had my OP Awesome with seven medium pulse lasers, and various other death machines. Prior to the patch I finally figured out how to make money in spite of my XL engine costs. Free players and founders frolicked in joy together as the sounds of Goss rifles echoed across the hillside. Life was good, and the wine flowed like rivers.

Then Tuesday happened, and we were cast into the inferno of the new economy. And war began, first between the player base and the developers, and then soon Founders and free players were at each other’s throats, each decrying their situation. My Trial Mech was pounded from all sides by people who had paid money and so were wielding advanced precisely customized weapons of destruction, while I in my trial mech could do nothing to advance myself besides do the math of how long it would be until I too could join the “real game”.

Finally I realized it was a numbers game, winning didn’t matter. All that mattered now was speed. After two hours of trying to do things “the right way” I succumbed to temptation to jump in a Jenner and die as quickly as possible. However my tenacious spirit would not allow such things, and so I continued to scout as best I could until my mech fell. Soon I crested over a million CB, but the cost was an empty feeling in my soul.

I too joined the forum mob, decrying the situation, pleading for those on high to come and provide relief to those of us in the dessert of the Trial Grind. I even became legitimately angry at those who stood aloft with their Founders status and mech labs slinging insults at those struggling below.

Suddenly, in a moment of realization, I saw that at no point in any of this journey was I enjoying where I was, and what I was doing. I was playing a game, a game I have been waiting years for. I went out of the way to sign up for the beta and squealed in glee when I was finally accepted. The game that has pulled me from my commitments in other games, and to other teams to take part in, in spite of the knowledge that nothing done now in game will improve my position once the game is released. I had the game, but I wasn’t playing the game. I was playing the grind.

I hopped back onto the public TS server, and got into a drop ship, I told them I was a trial, but that wasn’t a problem because a lot of people are now. I got my Catapult out and worked with it for a bit, and discovered I actually really enjoyed it! Then I tried a hunchback and discovered that with my high armor, and no fear of dying do to no repair bill, I was a wonderfully valuable asset to my team to crest over hills and force people to overextend to try to kill me. I tried the Jenner and discovered that the heat sinks are terrible, but as far as scouting goes I was every bit as good to my team. Most importantly I was playing the game and having fun!

Now I have over two million CB, and having a blast. I still sit in a trial mech, and may stay in one until I can get an Awesome again. I have learned the mechs at my disposal and discovered the strengths and weakness of each. I am a Mechwarrior, true and true. I plan on throwing PG some money for my very own founders pack on my next paycheck, because I feel they deserve it.

TL;DR when you stop worrying about it, and play the game for its enjoyment, with other people as a team, the system in place works out nicely. As a trial you bring something to the table those with bills can’t do. Learn your role and have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment