Thursday, October 11, 2012

All Systems Nominal


Good day citizens of the Inner Sphere,

First off let me introduce myself, I am Pyrodante. I have been playing games longer then I care to admit. I fell in love with the Mechwarrior Universe back in the days of MechWarrior 2. Since then I have played some, and missed some. I have seen the travesty that was Mech Assault, and salivated at the idea of MW:O bringing the things I loved from the Battle Tech universe back to my fingertips in a modern way.


The news from PGI about MW:O has picked up in recent days. Without giving us too much time to recover to the mechanism of the new economy we now have a lifting of the NDA, new game engine, announcement of the open beta, and a major stress test. Many say that this is too much to do in such a short amount of time, and that they are not giving themselves enough time to correct issues, of which there are plenty. At this moment I am cautiously optimistic, so we will see wont we.

One thing is clear, MW:O will enter into open beta without a solid mechanism for establishing community, communication within teams, or the ability to find people who will take you under their wing. Combining that with a complete lack of tutorial or much obvious information/feedback in game will make this very challenging for new players. In my opinion communities stand of as the corner stone of any good online game. From League of Legends, to World of Warcraft, a strong community (regardless of how hostile) creates a strong fan-base, and thus a strong and successful game. As the community begins to drift apart, subscribers dwindle, and games stagnate. However, with the NDA lifted, we the community are now able to create the tools needed for a strong MW:O community. I hope this humble offering may have a part of that.

Instead of simply allowing these things to happen to MW:O, I decided to try to be part of the solution and not the problem. I want to use this blog as a sounding board to discuss issues outside of the often quite negative forums, but as an opportunity to pass useful information for newer, and experienced players alike.

I hope you enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment